It won't be long and we will be at the tail-end of spring, and summer will be here!
To help you get into the summer spirit, Christchurch is hosting one of the biggest events of the year – the annual Cup and Show Week.
Cup and Show Week Events:
The A & P Show, Wednesday Nov 15 - Friday November 17, 2017
The Canterbury A&P (Agricultural and Pastoral) Show is an annual ritual for many Cantabrians. With 100,000 people attending every year, the show is the largest community event in New Zealand.
It's a family event for young and old, with plenty of entertainment, activities, shopping and competitions to keep everyone busy. Some of the highlights include:
- The Farmyard for children (and the big kids at heart) where you can meet and interact with some of the cutest farm animals.
- The Food and Wine Village will be showcasing some of the finest produce, food, and wines. There will be 50 speciality product exhibitors with delicious samples to make your tastebuds run wild! As well as The Village Green which will be playing music to get you in the vibe.
- Watch the eye-popping, woodchopping champions from New Zealand and Australia, as they demonstrate the art of the chop (and show off those hardworking muscles!)
- The fast-paced shearing and wool handling competition will give you a 'real' rural experience. Professional shearers will be giving demonstrations, and the children will get the chance to have a go with stuffed toy sheep!
- There will be plenty of life stock and equestrian competitions with over 3,000 animals. You will get to see some of the top cattle, sheep, alpaca, llama, poultry, pigs and goats from around the region.
- You will be treated to over 500 trade exhibitors showcasing everything from boutique gifts and clothing, gourmet food, and farming must-have's to spa pools and leisure gear.
Note: The Show has earlybird ticket sales available, so if you are planning to take the family, jump into their website and grab your tickets in advance and save!
Al Basti Equiworld NZ 2000 Guineas Day, Saturday November 11, 2017
Kick-off New Zealand Cup and Show Week by heading to Riccarton Park Racecourse for Guineas Day. Watch the very best three-year-olds race it out, in hope to follow in the hoof-prints of some of the greats. Open to all ages.
Christchurch Casino New Zealand Trotting Cup Day, Tuesday November 14, 2017
Christchurch Casino New Zealand Trotting Cup Day is one of the most glamorous and highly anticipated social events of the year. Attracting over 20,000 people, it is considered one of Australasia's most prominent harness racing events.
Be prepared to celebrate racing, fashion, food, fun and music in the laid back Public Village, or the classy Lindauer Lawn. Persons under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Westfield Riccarton Style Stakes, Tuesday November 14, 2017
The Christchurch Casino New Zealand Trotting Cup Day, hosts the glamorous Westfield Riccarton Style Stakes Fashion Competition. Boasting only the very best haute couture and body art.
The competition has over $20,000 fabulous prizes up for grabs, including return flights to Buenos Aires for the Best Dressed Lady, courtesy of Air New Zealand.
Riccarton Couplands Bakeries Mile, Wednesday November 15, 2017
Get ready for some great action on the track and spectacular fashion. The racing action starts at lunch-time, and features the country's richest open handicap over 1,600 metres. Find your favourite hat or fascinator, and reserve a spot.
Christchurch Casino New Zealand Greyhound Cup, Thursday November 16, 2017
Marvel at the speed of the country's top canine athletes, as they race around the track at Addington Raceway. Enjoy great food and wine, while you pick your favourites. The evening includes the $100,000 Christchurch Casino New Zealand Greyhound Cup, and $30,000 Galaxy Sprint.
Show Day Races, Friday November 17, 2017
This is a perfect day out in the company of friends, family or work colleagues. There will be entertainment for the kids as well. Sit back, relax and enjoy an exciting day of racing. There will be a race for the very best pacers, and the highest quality trotters.
Christchurch Casino NZ Cup and gavelhouse.com 1000 Guineas Day, Saturday November 18, 2017
This event always attracts a large crowd, and is one for the adults. The stakes will be high on the track. Make sure you dress to turn heads, and you might even catch the eye of the judges of the Fashion and Field. Make sure you are part of the action!
Fashion in the Field - Riccarton, Saturday November 18, 2017
If you have perfected your race day outfit, make sure you enter Fashion in the Field at Riccarton Park. There are some great prizes including overseas travel for two, plus a place as the Christchurch representative at Prix de Fashion - New Zealand's Fashion in the Field final, hosted at Ellerslie in Auckland.
For more information visit: www.nzcupandshow.co.nz