If you've been given the task of booking Christchurch accommodation for your sports club trip, school group or family gathering, you might appreciate the checklist we've provided below to work through when you are looking for a suitable location.
As one of the largest accommodation providers in Christchurch, we welcome groups of all sizes to the Park and our group bookings co-ordinator Sarah Rhodes is happy to help you plan your stay in the city, and provide various accommodation options to fit your budget.
GROUP ACCOMMODATION CHECKLIST
|Do you need large communal kitchen facilities, equipped with suitable pots, bowls and utensils for cooking in bulk?||Y/N|
|Do you need a large room with seating/tables where your group can gather at the beginning or end of the day, and also use for mealtimes?||Y/N|
|Will your group have free time onsite and require entertainment activities to keep the younger members occupied? (swimming pool, playground, media room, internet access, indoor games room, grass areas for games)||Y/N|
|Will you need help choosing and booking activities and tours offsite around the Christchurch and Canterbury region?||Y/N|
|How many different types of accommodation will you require? (eg. bunkrooms, motel units, cabins)||Y/N|
|How important is venue location? Do you need to be close to airport, train station, public transport, or sports facilities?||Y/N|
|If you are planning your trip for the warmer months, do you prefer communal BBQ facilities?||Y/N|
Let us Help!
Please use the group enquiry form to give us an idea of your requirements. Or give our reception team a call on 0800 396 323 to work through the options.
Our communal dining and kitchen facilities are also ideal for large groups.
Our Lodge facilities include:
- Private one room bunk room (10 units).
- Suitable for teams and school groups
- Own shower and toilet
- Double and 3 single bunks
- Cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils
- Shared kitchen/dining room facilities
If you haven't already planned out all your day time activities, some of the options below might suit your group, and of course feel free to browse the other "things to do" posts in our blog for further inspiration. Again, our reception team can answer your questions and book activities for you.
- Willowbank and Ko Tane - if you are keen for a cultural experience, or prefer to hang out with the wildlife, Willowbank is a great spot. You can also take along your own supplies and make the most of the free BBQ/picnic facilities to help keep the team well fed.
- Orana Park - for a true taste of the wild, you might might to spend some time hanging with the Gorillas, Giraffes and Lions out at Orana Park! Again, they have picnic areas so you can bring your own lunch along, and there's plenty of action to see all around the park. Time it right or book in and you can be right in the middle of the lion feeding or the Giraffe feeds. Orana Park is located at McLeans Island, so factor in at least a half hour drive from Christchurch TOP 10.
- Adrenalin Forest - Set in the peaceful surrounds of Spencer Park, Brooklands lagoon and Bottle Lake Forest, Adrenalin Forest is a great place to spend the day. Choose from 7 ropes courses which progress you into the trees, starting from 1m off the ground up to 20m in the canopy. Each course has a range of various challenges that build in height and difficulty as you progress. We have bridges, Nets to cross, barrels, swings and of course the most fun of all… Flying Foxes.
- Margaret Mahy Playground - the newest and most popular place for kids of all ages to hang out and have fun, the Margaret Mahy Playground is free for all to use, and located on the banks of the Avon River, on Manchester Street. We highly recommend!
- Christchurch Tram - Board at any of the 17 tram stops, and get on and off with your ticket throughout the day. The trams run every 15-20 minutes. The inside seats are cozy and secure, but outside seats are not weatherproof. Children must be accompanied on trams at all times by a paying adult. One adult an supervise up to five children/infants aged 15 years and under. As in any city street, you must keep children safe in traffic. Folded prams can be accommodated on board the trams. Up to three children may ride free of charge per paying adult, and tickets can be purchased for $5 each for additional children.
- Lasertag and Paintball - on the outskirts of Christchurch (not far from Christchurch International Airport) is the recreational wonderland of McLeans Island. Amongst the many different activities and organisations based in this area are several options for Paintball, plus Lasertag. Check out the linked websites for more details.
- Christchurch Adventure Park - if your group love to mountainbike, zip line or simply enjoy the views over Christchurch from the chairlift, this is a great place for groups of all ages and interests to enjoy. Group leaders can join in the fun or supervise from the comfortable surrounds of the onsite cafe and bar.